Gaudy Welsh Tea pot at a second hand store


I squealed with delight when I saw this teapot at Mission Thrift in Orrville.  I called my parents and took photos.  As soon as I saw it I knew it was stone pottery from the 1800's.  

My dad is a fan of this pottery, so I knew my stuff.  This tea pot was $3!!!  My dad paid me $6 for it, lol.  It did have a few hair line cracks, but does hold water.  


We looked it up in some books and could not find the exact one.  But, had it not had some flaws it could be close to $400!

Gaudy Welsh is an Imari-decorated earthenware with red, blue, green, and gold decorations. Most Gaudy Welsh was made in England for the American market. Gaudy Welsh china is heavier and has more childlike coloring than Gaudy Dutch. Some of its most popular patterns include Tulip, Oyster, Sunflower, Wagon Wheel, and Grape Leaf. It was made from 1820 to about 1860. 



Gaudy Welsh china is a cottage ware; a product that was made for sale in Britain (1820 -1860).


What is the difference between Gaudy Dutch and Gaudy Welsh?
Gaudy Dutch would not have the gold or copper lustre accents and the pottery pieces themselves are of a lighter weight. The tea cups won't have handles (many years ago, "tea bowls" were used instead). Gaudy Welsh pieces are more recently made than Gaudy Dutch, and more affordable.







No comments:

Post a Comment