Day 49, Eastern Tea with the Gaiwan pot, Ohio Tea Company - Huang Jin Gui




Fever free on day 49 of working from home!  Almost done with week 10.  I've been sheltering safely in place for over 70 days... I never thought I would see it happen.  But, it is coming to and end and I am excited and ready to move forward.  But, enough of that, lets talk tea!!!
So far all the 48 teas I have shown you have been Western style tea drinking.  Day 49 is Eastern tea drinking.  We will  steep and pour our tea from our Gaiwan teapot.

I took a class at Ohio Tea Company a few years ago and then just a few weeks ago I did an online class with Smith Tea using the gaiwan pot


Gaiwan style pitchers dates back to the Ming Dynasty.  It was the way tea was prepared in ceremonies in China.
I am using Huang Jin Gui Oolong tea from Ohio Tea Company.


You start by putting 2-3 tsp of tea in our Gaiwan Teapot, instead of just 1 tsp.
 Then you add hot (but not boiling) water.   The first time we rinse the leaves, you pour the water on the leaves for a few seconds and then pour it out- this wakes your leaves up.  You do no drink that tea.  (If you have a tea pet- you can pour that tea on your tea pet)  
You then get more water, not filling to the top, but covering the leaves.  let it steep for 20-25 seconds or so  (with the lid on) and then we pour it into our cup.
You repeat this process 6 or 7 more times.  You get a different uniqueness to each cup of tea.






pouring off the first tea- this is just waking the leaves up.


Steep 10-12 seconds and then pour into the cup


See how the leaves are opening up?


I was so excited I went to Goodwill the other day and found these ceremonial cups to use with my Gaiwan pitcher when I have people over.  They were only .50 each.
The cup is double walled and keeps the cup and the tea warmer.


I am doing an Oolong tea- which is my favorite kind of tea. It has beautiful floral notes.

From the website, "Harvested in June 2019 at 860m elevation. naturally farmed in Anxi, Quanzhou in the Fujian Province of China. It is from one of the best production areas - Anxi. Huang Jin Gui is almost the most floral Anxi oolong, its osmanthus aroma is charming!"




I just keep pouring, lightly steeping, and drinking all day.


This way of brewing tea is especially good when using Green teas, Oolongs, white teas and Pu-erh. The multiple short infusions give the drinker the chance to fully experience what the tea has to offer. Each infusion will give a different depth of flavor, tasting notes and strengths.
You can still brew other teas using this method.



The leaves are so beautiful!!


Earl Grey is ready for me to stop drinking tea and pay attention to him.  

This was from my Smith Teamaker online class.

This is the full Gong Fu set I have- I can't wait to use it to serve ceremonial style tea.  I've had it 2 years and I keep saying I will have friends over for a special tea and I have just not done it yet.  But, I will soon!!!


The Kettle was on today.  I loved that friends were out and about today.  I never thought I would reach 100 people in 50 working days, but once I was close, I wanted to make it.  I didn't ask anyone to stop in, they just showed up- I love it!!!

Megan did some Inca Spiced Berry Tea


I did a surprise run of bubble tea to a friend and her grandma at work

My mom and her sister came over for some Ohio Tea Vanilla Mint Chai Lattes.

My friend Kaci showed up and got bubble tea for her mom and her dad and an Ohio Tea Turmeric Chai Latte for herself.

When Kaci and I came outside, we found Barb and her grandson had popped over.

I went in to make them tea and another friend stopped over, I went in to make her tea and another friend saw us and came over.  It was so much fun!  Today we got to 97 teas served in the 49 days of working from home.  I am blessed.


#Kettleson

Find joy and give joy.

See you tomorrow for one last day of working from home!!

No comments:

Post a Comment