cold day in April means homemade chai

April in Ohio- one day it's 60 and the next it's snowing!
It's a great day for some chai tea!  
I decided to take my crock pot and ingredients and make chai for the office.

The base of the tea is almond milk, then I add my ingredients and test until I have a flavor I like.  And I guess we really can't call it tea- since I don't add any tea to my mix.  You could if you want the caffeine in it,  I add a little fennel, star anise, cloves, pink peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, a little almond, saffron,  and cardamon seeds.
I crushed all the ingredients in my mortar and pestle. 
I love that there is no sugar added,  The sweetness in the vanilla almond milk is a nice compliment to the other ingredients.
Tasting this reminds me a fall, I mean I love chai year round, but something about these specific flavors scream fall to me.

Don't let the almond milk boil.  After about an hour it was ready.  I wanted it a little more spicy- someone suggested I try more clove and some ginger.




No comments:

Post a Comment