Kombucha and bulk sugar


I needed some sugar to make some kombucha.  The bulk food store had I went to had one bag left.  Not sure I needed 25 pounds, but it will last me awhile. :)



I have some old sugar containers that I put my sugar in, but even this time I have more then my containers will hold, lol!



I make 2 gallons kombucha every 14 days or so.  Last week I made one of my favorite blends.  I used some coconut tea I got from World Market.  I did not like the tea by it self, but when I added about 12 bags into the kombucha it was perfect.  Now I may go back and buy some more just to make more kombucha.

Below is a batch I made with some herbal fruits teas that I had.  This is a great way to use up some teas that you may not love or that are older.  With this one I had two herbal teas that were almost finished and I hardly ever drank, so I bagged those loose teas up and tossed them into the pot.


The kombucha base is 2 gallons of water, 2 cups sugar, 16 black tea bags - let it come to a boil for  heat for 15-20 minutes.  I then pull out the black tea bags and add the flavored tea. I let all of that cool for a few hours, then I pour into a gallon jar with a cup of kombucha starter.

If you don't want your kombucha carbonated, you can stop here.  But, I drink mine like soda, so I want it carbonated. 

I pour the fermented tea into glass bottles with a little apple juice and  I let it carbonate for another 7-10 days.  The kombucha feeds on the sugar from the apple juice and makes it carbonated.  That is why there is so little calories and sugar in kombucha.


I just discovered at walmart "baby apple juice"!  The bottle is 32 ounces, which is the prefect size to make 2 gallons of kombucha....and it is only $1.50!!!  When I use the bigger bottles I have left over apple juice and it always goes bad before I need it for my next batch.  (I don't drink apple juice or any juice for that matter)  For me, this is the perfect size bottle!


Bottling my homemade brew


Here is my kombucha that is carbonating.  It will sit for 7-10 days.




Once I have all the kombucha is in the jars to carbonate, I save about a cup of each in the gallon jars to start the process all over again.  


The big jar is the hotel, I keep and feed that as a starter for others or I want to make more. 


Once the jars are filled back up with new tea I cover them up and let them sit for another 7-10 days.

This stuff is the best and so good for your gut!


Love this stuff!!!

Hope you are finding joy and sharing joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment