Antique Oriental Porcelain Travel Tea Set Woven Basket with Lid

 I was thrilled to find this Chinese tea basket!!  And to find it under $40!!  I see these on line for sometimes over $100.  





I just adore it.  
Some baskets date back to the 1800's during the time of building the railways- according to one article I found.

I believe these baskets to be insulated as well, from what I have read.  I can't wait to go on a picnic, or take this on my next kayak adventure. 

I  read that, "Tea baskets just like this were once used (and maybe still are) at the posh Bel-Air Hotel in L.A. to welcome guests to their rooms upon arrival, with freshly-brewed tea and a little tray of scones. I read this when I came across a cookbook from the hotel which had a whole chapter on Afternoon Tea, and a photo of that very basket. I think they even sold them in their gift shop at the time!" Carol from a blog http://teawithfriends.blogspot.com/2010/05/chinese-tea-basket.html

I saw another post, with the same tea basket.  That one was purchased in China.  They served tea on a train in these baskets.  I love this!!!  http://ritamay-days.blogspot.com/2013/09/chinese-travel-tea-basket.html

DIMENSIONS
11.5ʺW × 9ʺD × 8ʺH


                                                                    Cira 1960???

This one below they think is maybe from the 1960's- and it is the same material I have in my basket.





can you read these prices???
$189.00, $208.00, $50.00, $130.50. $399.00, $165.00, $195.00

But as my dad would say, they are still for sale...lol.  And maybe it is more about the tea pots inside and not the basket.  Anyway, I got my basket for $35.00 and now I have the fun of the hunt...finding the perfect tea pot and cups to go inside!!  

When I looked to see what tea set I should be on the hunt for, I saw that most of them had the classic Longevity pattern.
I took my basket to Asia Town in Cleveland to see if I could find the classic tea set.




I am a fan of Cleveland's Asia Town.  The Asia Plaza has lots of fun shops, a grocery store, a fantastic dim sum restaurant, and more.




Asia Plaza in Cleveland is a wonderful adventure.
 2999 Payne Ave, Cleveland, OH 44114 

https://asiaplazacleveland.com/




I found some cups to fit in the tea cup section.  The cups were so small, that I was able to put four there.  Two cups in each spot.




I took some hunting, but I found the traditional Mun Shou Ceramic tea pot.  It is 32 oz and it was a steal for $10!!!  It fits perfect.  I love it.  


Now, it is not the exact match, because the lid is not flat.  But, I can turn the lid upside down while traveling.  Maybe some day I will find the matching cups, but for now these work. 


Part of the fun of collecting is the hunt to find things.  My dad has taught me that.  I really try not to buy things on line, but discover them in antique shops or thrift stores.



I can't wait to go on a picnic now!!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment