Green Hill Tea Elderberry - cold brewed



I wasn't feeling well.  I am trying to fight a cold and they say that Elderberries are great help for that.  Plus, elderberry is my favorite pie.  My mom makes it for my birthday.

2003 from WebMD, "Sambucol, a black elderberry extract, appears to short-circuit flu symptoms, a new study shows."

WikiHow, "Elderberry is a highly effective herbal remedy for colds and flu. It has been used in medicines for a long time and contains bioflavonoids that significantly boost the immune system. It has anti-inflammatory, antiviral, anti-influenza and anticancer properties. Some studies showed that taking elderberry extract Sambucol shorten the duration of cold and flu by about three days. You can ingest elderberry in many forms such as syrup, tea, pills, and lozenges. You can make these concoctions yourself or purchase them from a store. Make sure your doctor knows that you are using elderberry."


I decided to cold brew the elderberry tea.

I took a pitcher of cold water with ice and in the strainer I added my loose leaf tea.  The great thing about cold brew tea is that you can add water to the loose leaf tea over and over again.
This is great sugar free option to bottled ice tea you might find at the store too.  Take your favorite loose leaf tea or even bagged tea and add to water.


I just add some loose leaf tea, I do not measure, sorry I can't tell you how much I add.



You can make this the night before and out put in the frig.  I add ice and and within 10 minutes I have my tea.  The tea taste is more mellow then hot brewed, less caffeine, and also there are less tannins in cold brewed tea.  Tannins are a type of polyphenol, an antioxidant compound in tea leaves that imparts an astringent taste to the tea. Fewer tannins result in a smoother, sweeter tea. 

I really liked this tea.  I had co-workers try it too and they liked it too. It was not tart like we thought it would be.  I thought it was fruity and very refreshing.



Not sure if it was the tea or the essential oils or the health supplements, but I felt better in a day or two. 


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information. I really like the way you express complex topics in lucid way. It really helps me understand it much better way. elderberry extract powder

    ReplyDelete