Teas for Missions Food Court


Missions Conference at my church is my favorite week of the year.  We kick off the week with our Sunday Mission Parade and then a missions speaker.  Then that Sunday night we have our Food Court.  We make usually 12-15 different countries represented and the people can sample food from all those countries.



For about 10 years I made Black Bean Thai dish.  Then last year I mixed things up and made crepes from France.  This year I sticking with something that I love- Tea!   I am doing a tea station.

I decided that Thai Iced Tea has a distinct taste like no other tea.  Then there is Bissap from Africa- that is sweet and delicious and think all the kids will love it.  Lastly. I am going with Turkish Tea since I have a unique tea pot from Turkey.  Well, that was the plan, until I could not get my Turkish pot to work.  So, it just sat looking pretty on the table, lol.



My nephew helped me place everything and put straws in the bags.  When I was in Malaysia and I would but tea on the streets, they would give it to you in a plastic bag that you could carry on your wrist.  I decided to go for that effect here.








This year, 2019, we served over 175 people.  It was so much fun!!!



#1 Thai Iced Tea from Thailand

When I was in Penang they sold Thai tea in plastic bags.  It was crazy to see all people carrying there "to-go" containers. 



I bought these "to-go" containers to give out Thai tea to the kids.



Drinking Thai Tea in Thailand.



OR from scratch...



4 Tablespoons per cup....I made 8 cups....


I read that steeping the longer is better.  I put in the frig to cool, then strain and add condensed milk





#2 Bissap from Guinea West Africa

When I was in Africa they drank Bissap- made from only hibiscus.

                                         



Bissap is just hibiscus and sugar!  A lot of sugar!!!  I did not add as much sugar as they do.
Then I let the hibiscus steep in hot water for 10 minutes or so, then chill.



#3 Turkish Tea

I purchased this tea set from someone who used to live and work in Turkey.  They brought this tea set back with them.  So, even though this tea I didn't have over seas I thought the tea pot was too fun not to use.

                



I went to make the Turkish Tea, but my pot did not work. 

Follow these instructions to make a Turkish tea: 
Use Turkish tea pot (two parts of a teapot put one above the other). The one at the bottom is bigger than the one on the top 
-Boil 5 cups of water in a bottom teapot. 
-Transfer about 2 cups into the top pot. 
-Add in black tea leaves into the top pot. 
-Pour extra 2 cups into the bottom pot and put the top pot over it. 
-Let it boil over medium low heat. 
-Wait it over the lowest heat until the tea leaves in the top pot sink. 
-It’s ready in about 10 min. 
-When serving, pour 1/4 of a glass with tea and fill the rest with hot water. 
-It’s optional to add sugar into your cup before drinking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment