Buddha Tea, Elderberry Tea



I love elderberries.  My favorite pie is elderberry, my mom makes me one almost every year for my birthday.  It seems like in the past 2-3 years everyone is saying how great elderberries are for you, especially during cold and flue season.  So, it is win win to eat and drink elderberries.

I picked up a cold recently, so I was enjoying this tea.  It reminds me of my moms pies.

This is an herbal tea, so there is no caffeine in it.  You want your water to be around 205 degrees.  Also herbal takes longer to steep then other teas- you can steep 5-6 minutes.  Side note- herbal tea is not a "real' tea- it does not come from the Camellia sinensis plant like all the other real teas do, (True teas-white, yellow, green, oolong, pu-erh, black, and purple).

It has a great fruity flavor, it is not too tart.  I like this tea.

This tea is also good cold brewed (see about cold brew below).  I shared this tea with the CEO of my company when he was fighting a cold and he really enjoyed it.  He even went out and bought it and has been enjoying it too.

The only down side to this tea is that you only really get one good steep out of it.  The flavors are really good on the first cup, but the second steep the elderberry flavor is completely lost.


Elderberry towers above other berries reputed to support the immune system. Elderberry also provides damage control during cold and flu season, as well as while our bodies endure the challenges of aging.


Enjoying my moms pies over the years.....




Love this pie!!!  I know this pie is a labor of love, since it takes so long to shuck the elderberry.



The only time I have milk is with tea and elderberry pie.  It's the way I grew up eating it and now it's the only way I like to eat this pie.




This tea is good cold too.  And as Kombucha.  I made a batch and I am loving it.

Cold brew is a great way to drink tea.  By not heating it, you are not releasing the tannins and you can add cold water over and over again. Also you retain more antioxidants than hot brew and also it releases only have the caffeine.  I usually can add water 2-3 more times to my glass or  pitcher of water.    

If I have bagged tea I do one bag per 8 oz of water.  When I do the loose leaf in a pitcher, I generally eye ball it, but if you want something more specific go with 4 Tbsp per 1 quart.

No comments:

Post a Comment