To Squeeze or not to squeeze the tea bag?

 So to squeeze or not to squeeze, that is the question....

I discovered when you squeeze the tea bag, it releases tannins ( a bitter astringent taste- mainly in black teas), which makes the tea bitter. It's not UNHEALTHY--it's just MORE of what's already in the tea. It doesn't taste good, that's the reason to avoid it.   I have also read that large amounts of Tannins in conjunction with large amounts dairy products do cause Kidney Stones....  I guess it just gives another reason for this tea snob to avoid milk :) Although I do make the exception for the new mesh bags that seem to have loose leaf inside that gives tea better flavor.
 
Below are two articles I found on line.  But, you know that "proof is in the pudding as they say", so I did my own test.  See the results at the end of the blog..

 

Here is what are some are saying on line...

.if you’ve ever used a tea bag, chances are that you’ve squeezed the last bit of liquid out of it and into your cup after the tea has finished steeping – and possibly burned your fingertips doing it if you don’t have some ind of tea bag strainer. You might also have heard that squeezing a tea bag, once brewed, into a cup of tea will turn the tea bitter and that you should never, under any circumstances, do this.
If you put this to the test, you’ll probably find that it’s true, to some extent. Tea, especially black tea, contains tannins, a plant polyphenol that is known to have a bitter, astringent taste to it. It is not the same as tannic acid, a chemical present in different types of wood (such as oak) that is, among other things, used to tan leather. This astringency is more noticeable when your tea is stronger, and often squeezing the bag after steeping will release an extra little burst of well-steeped liquid from within the tea bag – and this can add a slight bitterness to the tea. That being said, if you are steeping your tea for a reasonable amount of time, you’re not going to notice a huge change.
It’s worth noting that herbal teas, as well as white and green teas, contain little to no tannins depending on the makeup of each individual tea. Those tea bags can be squeezed to your hearts content without any worry about adding unwanted bitterness to an otherwise good cuppa.


http://breweddaily.com/2008/12/squeezing-tea-bags-into-tea/


The British would never squeeze a tea bag because it upsets the brewing of the tea.  The tea contains tannins, which give an astringent flavor to the tea.  They don't dissolve as easily as the other flavor chemicals in the tea, but will come out when when you squeeze the leaves.  You'd get the same effect by brewing it longer.

They say that if you want stronger tea, use more tea.  Squeeze teabags upsets the balance of the flavor.

But it's not going to kill you.  It's perfectly healthy.  And sometimes, I like my tea on the astringent side, since I dampen the effect with lemon and sugar.  (Milk is even better at removing astringency.)  So go ahead and squeeze the bag, if the flavor appeals to you.

I'm not sure where that person got the notion, but it's fine to squeeze the tea bag. There's really nothing harmful in tea except tannic acid, but only in large quantities in conjunction with lots of dairy products (combines to make kidney stones). Anyway, the process of tea brewing releases everything in the tea leaves, so squeezing the tea bag will improve taste if nothing else.



http://askville.amazon.com/true-healthy-squeeze-tea-bag-brewing/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=3075289


My personal research:

Rituals Coffee Company

9755 Patuxent Woods Dr
Columbia, MD 21046-2286
Tel: (443) 259-2168 

 
I took 2 exact bags of black tea...they say that is the tea where you notice the bitterness the most.  So, I took these black teas, put each one in the cup of hot water, set the timer for 3 minutes, per the back of the tea bag and I waited.

 
Once the timer went off, I pulled both tea bags out of the water at the same time.  I however, took the one bag and squeezed out the excess water/tea back into the cup.

 
What did I discover you ask....That the tea that had been squeezed was slightly bitter. So, I would agree that there is more of a bitter taste if you squeeze the bag. It was not awful, but I would say I DID recognize a difference.
Another note, I did like this tea. It is new for me.  I picked it up at City Square Steak House in Wooster.  I would prefer not to drink tea out of "paper" bags, but as far as taste goes, it was a good tea.

29 comments:

  1. Thank you for this, Kerrie...I had never known why the tea I steeped at home was more bitter than other teas--but I tried making it without squeezing today, and it's definitely, noticeably, less bitter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya!! glad you noticed a difference. Thanks for letting me know!!

      Delete
  2. While hunting for info on squeezing tea bags, I discovered that a few people have been taking credit for your words:
    http://askville.amazon.com/true-healthy-squeeze-tea-bag-brewing/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=3075289
    I don't know if you mind or not, but thought you may want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little baking powder(sodium bicarbonate) will neutralize the tannic acid. I add 1/4 tsp. to a gallon of my my Sweet Tea. So even a miniscule dash to a cup of tea would probably do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd, I've never heard of his, but can't wait to try!! thanks

      Delete
  4. I just found this out this morning. I thought it was a combined etiquette and taste issue. Turns out it is indeed an etiquette issue as well (Peggy Post, Good House Keeping).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog and I really like it, and I told my wife about it also. I learned 2 things I was wondering about regarding the green tea that I've recently started drinking (and loving). I like a splash of lemon in mine and an ounce or so of unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Does that make me a tea sissy or a tea heretic or anything? BTW, the expression, "The proof is in the pudding" is commonly used, but think about it - what the heck does it mean word for word? The original and I would say the "real" expression is "The proof of the pudding is in the eating." Especially when you think of pudding as the British do (I'm not British), a pudding is a gelatinized stew, sort of, and it stands up on the plate and looks like a miniature nuclear cooling tower. Your pudding make look perfect - spectacular even - but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

    Matt S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, if you like lemon in your tea then go for it!!!! Nothing sissy about that. I hope you and your wife are enjoying the blog. Kerrie

      Delete
  6. thanks for telling

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to learn that there's no change in flavor for herbal teas... thanks! Now I'll squeeze away to get that last essence. With my fingers, even (no offense to the queen.) I also enjoyed the pudding trivia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! Squeeze away with those herbal teas :)

      Delete
  8. Found your site today. Wonderful information and you're a swell person! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reaching out. I am glad you enjoyed. Kerrie

      Delete
  9. Thanks for testing this tea dilemma out for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to try and learn new things. Happy tea sipping. Kerrie

      Delete
  10. I drink green tea exclusively and I'm relieved to know this information. Thank you, KCOT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your message. I am glad you enjoyed reading. Kerrie

      Delete
  11. You are one happy individual. You made me smile. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why don't you like tea in bags? Snobbery, for the most part, I think. I buy empty little "envelopes" (bags) and put my loose tea into them for brewing ... and there's absolutely no taste difference. Much less mess/cleanup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That works too!! I will add loose leaf tea to empty envelopes. But a lot of bagged tea does not have great quality tea in it. Purchased bagged tea can be a lot of dustings. But, if it is good loose leaf tea I will absolutely put them in an envelope. It is all about the taste and flavor for me. Thanks Kerrie

      Delete
  13. Why don't you like tea in bags? Snobbery, for the most part, I think. I buy empty little "envelopes" (bags) and put my loose tea into them for brewing ... and there's absolutely no taste difference. Much less mess/cleanup.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some taste testing indicates that people prefer extra tannins in their tea and that it makes tea taste stronger to them. Also, if you put milk in your tea, the "bitterness" virtually disappears. As a super taster, I like strong tea...so I usually squeeze. To each his/her own :-D Thanks so much for your informative blog. I'm a guy who prefers tea... and a very occasional cup of coffee...when I have guests who prefer coffee...perked on the stove, gently...the old fashioned way...to the open-mouthed astonishment of guests hooked into their comlicated brewing contraptions ;-D -J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, to each his own. Thanks for your input. Thanks for reading. Kerrie

      Delete
  15. try nettle tea, new favorite of mine :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as it is not stinging nettle....Have you ever run into stinging nettle? It hurts so bad. But, seriously I have heard it is good tea. thanks Kerrie

      Delete
  16. thanks for reading. I am glad you are enjoying. Kerrie

    ReplyDelete