How did Passport to Tea get started

 

PASSPORT TO TEA 2023

I love tea. I always have. I think it came from my parents. They always drank tea. Even when my dad was serving in the Army in Germany, he would find the occasional tearoom to visit and sent his mom and my mom, his finance at the time, each a tea set. As a married couple, they would have garden tea parties for friends and neighbors. So I grew up loving tea.

      

A dream of mine was to start a tearoom. Working slowly, I began by having random teas in my home and later started a home tea-party business. While traveling on mission trips to places like Thailand, Malaysia, France and the Dominican Republic, I fell in love with their different and unique tea customs and experiences. From all of those experiences, Passport to Tea 2023 was born.


        

Each month I would focus on a different country. I would research their tea traditions, origins, and customs. I wanted everyone to feel like they were on a journey in that country with me. I got passports and printed small flags of each country. Each month, my guest list would range from three to more than 20. They would bring their passport, or receive a new one as first timers, and would get a “stamp” in their passport. One gal came ten times, traveling two hours each way to come -- now that is dedication.

For the Russian tea party, I ordered teacups from Ukraine. When we did India, I got 12 spices for making chai. For Thailand, I ordered a Thai tea pot. For Turkey, I had Turkish teacups and a samovar from Turkey. As we explored Morocco, we had the beautiful glass cups from Morocco. When I shared about Guinea, we used the tea set I picked up when I was on a mission trip there.           

            

I would prepare four to five teas for each guest to experience. I ordered teas from each country and also teas from the U.S. I would prepare teas the way the Americans usually drank them and the way each country traditionally makes their teas, and we would talk about the unique differences, tea notes, and flavors. During each class, I would demonstrate the way to make one of the teas as that country did. I watched lots of YouTube, Googled more than I ever thought I would, and talked to friends in those countries.

            

When we did chai from India, each person was given a mortar and pestle and a recipe card. After talking about spices and tasting different kinds of chai, they created their own blend. One guest said that the chai she created was the best chai she had ever had. The giggles, outright laughter, and ohhs and ahhs made it all worth the effort. As we explored China, each guest was given a Gawain to prepare their own eastern-style tea. This style of preparing tea was new to almost everyone, and although appreciated, I am not sure I converted anyone to preparing tea like this. While adventuring in Japan, everyone had their own matcha bowl and whisk. They loved trying out the different kinds of matcha and exploring it hot and cold.

The 12 months of tea classes made me fall in love with tea even more. Having a table full of men and women each month was a pure delight. Sharing stories, drinking tea, and being present with each other for even just an hour is precious time. My tag line became ‘Tea from around the world for the world.’  I don’t want distance, money, or anything to stop anyone from experiencing great tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment