Pink chai take 3



Out in WA, my sister and I attempted to make pink chai again.  I made it at home twice and they were pretty much fails.  The first time it tasted okay, but never really got pink.  The second time it never got pink and it tasted horrible (too much baking soda)
 
So, I figured maybe I needed help making it.  Maybe, I was missing something.

Ingredients
32 ounces of milk 
32 ounces cold water 
12oz of cold water 

1/4 tsp salt 
2 heaping tbsp Kashmiri Chai or Green Tea
1/2 tsp baking soda 
cinnamon stick (about 2 inches long) 
6 green cardamom pods
4 tbsp sugar (or to taste) 

finely chopped pistachios and/or almonds for garnishing 

This recipe will yield 4-5 cups of Pink Chai
 

Over hi heat, pour cold water into pot. Add in Kashmiri chai, salt, baking soda, cinnamon stick and cardamom pods. Allow it to come to a boil, then lower to medium heat and cover. Allow to cook for 30 minutes, but check on it every 10 minutes, to make sure the water hasn't all evaporated. 
After 30 minutes, add in 12oz of cold water. Stir vigorously for 5 minutes.
Add in milk and sugar. Allow to come to a boil, then partially cover. Lower heat and allow to cook for 10 minutes., with the cover half on. You'll notice that the color is becoming a nice shade of pink!

Sieve the Chai, and once chai is poured into cups, sprinkle chopped almonds and/or pistachios on top. Its ready to drink!

It took us almost 2 hours to make and it still tasted too much of baking soda to me, plus it never turned pink.  I can now see why no one ever makes this.  I wanted it to be the signature tea in my shop, but I think I'll have to pass on it!!!


For the time and expense I'd just buy it!   This was a fail!!!!  But, at least I had fun with me sister.


No comments:

Post a Comment