ESP EMPORIUM, Sencha-Kombucha/Plum

My friend, Carrie, turned me on to ESP Emporium this past year.  She saw on line a half price deal for their tea and passed the deal on to me knowing I loved tea.  I could not pass up the great deal, so I ordered the tea.  I tried it and I really liked it. 
I have been unsure of Kombucha tea, I have seen it in different tea shops, markets, and health stores.  I thought it would have a weird taste, but I did want to try it. I had tasted it cold and turned into a "soda" in Washington and I loved it.  It had a unique flavor, but unique in a good way. I wanted to try it warm, so I tuned to ESP to find Kombucha tea.
 


Kombucha Teas: is technically a symbiotic colony of yeast and bacteria (or "SCOBY"). Kombucha is a fermented beverage prepared from a mushroom (Fungus japonicus).  It is assumed that Kombucha originally came from China and was already consumed by the emperors of the Quin dynasty. It is also called Manchurian mushroom tea, Manchurian fungus tea, Kwassan, combucha tea, and champagne of life.
The Kombucha fungus is a symbiosis of different microorganisms and is said to have many positive and beneficial characteristics from improving digestion to detoxifying the body to giving you energy with its significant amounts of the B complex vitamins, as well as vitamin C and minerals. Many stores refer to the tea as "bucha".

 The extract they, at ESP, are using in this blend immediately dissolves when brewed. The fine, elegant taste of plums is heavenly. The very fruity scent is a pleasure, especially in spring and summer time

50 Grams (1.76oz) Price: $5.95 

Ingredients: green tea (93%), Kombucha powder (malt dextrin (wheat starch), spring water, cane sugar, green tea, herbal blend (blackberry-, raspberry- and strawberry leaves, lemon grass, sweet calmus root)), flavoring, mallow blossoms. Serving Size: 1 level tsp./6oz serving, Brew Temp: 176 to 194 degree F, Brew Time: 2 to 3 Minutes



                                                     Time for a little taste testing at work!

Melanie and I tasted the Komucha at work today.  We were thinking it might have some odd flavor, but it didn't.  It tasted kind of plain, pretty ordinary. I was almost disappointed that it did not have some wonderful, exotic flavor.  It was not bad, but it was not the best tea either.  It was just okay.  I liked the fruity flavor that was evident.  I prefer tea with a bit of a stronger taste.I would drink it again, but maybe next time mix it with another tea.  ***I hope you do that.  I have found that sometimes mixing teas together create all kinds of amazing flavors.** There have been times I did not think I liked a tea, but then I mixed it with another tea and discovered I loved it.  Don't toss a tea away thinking you don't like until you at least try to mix it with another tea.
 
 
Jared said the tea tasted like, "green water"

 I have tried about 6 different loose leaf teas from ESP in the past year (Turish Apple w/Vitamin C, Apple Strudel Fruit Tea, Lemon Basil Oolong,  Fruity Mary Fruit, Palais Royal Fruit Tea, and Grandma's Garden Fruit Tea) and I like them all..a lot!  Plus they have really nice tea tins to store the tea in that you can purchase for $3.95.  The teas all have great flavors and aromas.  And their prices are VERY reasonable compared to other loose leaf tea I have purchased.  This is from their website:

"So Who Are The People Behind ESP Emporium?

We’re a family of tea enthusiasts from around the world who are committed to bringing you the most extensive assortment of premium loose teas and tea related accessories possible.  We pride ourselves on our enormous selection, distinct varieties of taste and impeccable quality of product.
With over 300 superb types of tea we’ve got you covered from black tea, green tea, half fermented tea, flavored teas, fruit blends, Rooibos and herbal teas, all these are just among a few included in our exquisite collection.

From Humble Beginnings …

So how did it all start?  ESP Emporium was founded by Steven Popec and his Russian wife Elena.  It wasn’t until Steven met Elena that he discovered the world of teas and tisanes for himself.

Russia is one of the countries where tea still plays a major role in culture, it’s more of a lifestyle than just hot beverage for most.  It’s through Elena’s first hand cultural experience combined with her university education that Steve was introduced to the art of tea.
During the years that followed Steven experienced a mental shift, from tea being just a ‘hot beverage’ to launching himself alongside Elena in discovering Teaism, tea cultures and traditions, which is reflected in our principle that every tea we sell isn’t just another flavor, but just a small part of a unique and diverse culture.

In many ways tea is a lost art, people often forget that tea has been used for thousands of years all over the globe in varying forms of teaism, traditions, and spiritual ceremonies.  After discovering so much about tea Steven and Elena decided to launch ESP Emporium, a brand dedicated to acquainting people with the lost art of tea.

We don’t just offer you high quality tea products, because our main goal is to educate.  Which is exactly the kind of information you’ll find on our blog, which explores not only the health benefits of tea but it dwells further into eastern ideology, the history of tea, tea processes, classic traditions and of course cultural aspects and nuances associated with the art of tea."



1 comment: