Mexican Horchata

While working on my new book, ABCs of Tea, I wanted to make the tea of Mexico, Horchata. 

Horchata is a Latin American and Spanish drink that has found its way to Mexico in the 16th century when Mexico was colonized by Spain.

This is an herbal drink, since there is no actual tea in the drink.

I have had Horchata, but I have never made it. Reading the recipe it seemed easy enough- Rice, Cinnamon, water, and some toasted nuts.


I read that you can add hibiscus for color, I loved that idea.  The pink color is beautiful too.

I soaked the rice, cinnamon, and hibiscus for 6 hours.


I toasted pistachios and almonds and then crushed them up.


I then blended the rice mixture with the nuts.


It took some time to find the right thing to use as a strainer.  They use a cheese cloth, but I did not have that to use.


Add ice and drink. For my first time it was not too bad, but I realized afterwards that I never added sugar or honey.  I think that would have helped.  But, then I also figured this was healthier without.
The main think I need to do it work on the straining of the Horchata.


No comments:

Post a Comment