Tea Tasting at Ohio Tea Company



So excited to be headed to my first tea class.  My favorite tea shop- Canton's - Ohio Tea Company.




For this free class I was the only one to show up!  I couldn't believe it!  But, their loss!   I got to pick the teas we talked about.  It was so cool to learn about the different teas and to even try them.


Ryan, the instructor, told me to pick teas I had never tried before.  I picked a Jasmine Silver Needle White tea.  It was my favorite of the day.  
At Ohio Tea they have a great monthly incentive.  If you get on their mailing list, you get a 1/2 oz of tea for free.  So, for May I got the Jasmine Silver Needle.


We talked about the tea and I got to try it.  I am not good with tasting notes, but Ryan gave me things to taste for and to notice.  I enjoyed the tea.


From the website, "A mixture of white tea and jasmine. This tea is scented with jasmine by laying the tea leaves on top of beds of jasmine flowers. The tea absorbs the jasmine scent from the flowers, and the process is repeated until the desired strength of jasmine is achieved. 

The overall tea flavor is much more subtle then a green jasmine tea, and should be savored.

Extra Info:

Silver Needles refer to the buds of the tea plant. The leaves or buds of white tea are not steamed or pan-fired (the process used in green teas) or oxidized and fired (the process used in black tea). The leaves are naturally withered and dried in the sun.

Because white tea is the least processed type of tea, you can still see the fibers on the individual buds. If mechanical drying is required it is a baking process at temperatures less than 104 degrees Fahrenheit."



I also love Oolong, so I picked Peach Oolong.  I really enjoyed this one too. 
from the website,  "Smooth, sweet, and spring-like. This tea is delicious when brewed hot and even better when poured over ice."



Next I tried Golden Snail.  This was probably my least favorite, but still not bad, just not one I would go to a lot.
From the website, "Golden Snail is one of those wonderful handcrafted black teas made in small production lots by farm families in the mountains of Yunnan province. Golden tippy leaves are curled into little spiral shapes, hence the name Golden Snail." 



Lastly, I did Guayusa Spice- this is an herbal tea.  It was pretty good.
From the website, "An Amazonian blend of energizing guayusa with full-bodied cinnamon and aromatic lemongrass. With more caffeine and double the antioxidants of any tea, guayusa offers clear, focused energy."


It was super fun to hear about the regions and the tea that is grown there.  I learned a ton!  I got my tea nerd on!  It amazes me that black, oolong, pu-erh, yellow, green, white, and purple tea all come from the same plant, the camellia sinensis!!  It just all depends on the region, the drying process, when picked, etc.  Tea is so cool!



This is this great shop!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment