Day 39, Featuring Ohio Tea Company - Ontario Icewine



First off, Happy birthday to my dad.  He is 76 years young today!!!  He is an amazing man and a fabulous dad!! He and I have a special bond.  We used to work together, around 10 years at Lehmans Hardware.  He also helped me fix up my house.  
Some say my dad is the reason I am still single, I can't find anyone to measure up.   One of my greatest memories with my dad was when I was really struggling with my chemical imbalance and we were at work together, we would go into the warehouse and he would pray for and with me.  Both my parents were so great while I was struggling.  In the 90's no one really talked about mental issues, but my parents were so supportive and helpful to me during that time.  I also have so many memories of going to auctions with my dad.  We both had off Tuesdays and we would drive all over to auctions.  So many other great memories too!!
One of best compliments I ever received was from a lady who told me I was the best of both my parents, I can only hope to achieve that.  God had blessed me with wonderful parents.


I think I get my orneriness from him too....

But, back to tea....
Today is day 39 and I am fever free.  So, I get work from home!


Today I am featuring a tea I was just introduced to at the end of the last year, Ontario Icewine.


The complex method for making Ontario ice wine is modeled after the centuries old techniques for making German Eiswein. (The first ice wines were produced in Germany about 700 years ago.) According to Canadian law, in order to be considered true Ice Wine, all grapes must be harvested after the first hard freeze at a minimum of 8.
Freezing temperature is key. If it doesn't come quickly enough in the season the grapes can rot. If it is too severe, the grapes will become to hard and no juice can be extracted. In order to retain their sweet flavor, the harvested grapes need to be pressed immediately while still frozen. The pressed juice is thick and sugary, much like the wine produced after fermentation!"
These leaves remind me of a silver needle tea.




It is white tea, so you need to make sure you never boil the water or over steep the leaves.   I put my electric kettle at 175 degrees.  I also steeped the tea for 3 minutes.  Add the water first to the teapot, then the leaves.  This way the teapot takes the brunt of the heat.

The other day when I took the Smith Tea Class Webinar, the leader, recommended when you are making white, green, and oolong tea that you leave the tea pot lid a askew.  This lets an air space.  If you have the lid on tight the teas leaves can get "stewy".  You get a better flavor when the air moves and the leaves don't stew.


Ice wine also helps in lowering blood pressure and has a protective effect on the cardiovascular system. 

This tea is not like any tea I have ever tried- in a good way.  I have never had icewine, so I am not sure what it taste like, but this tea is great.  The notes are sweet.  It is super delicate.  I really love drinking it.


Today at lunch I headed to Kidron, to MCC.  I had my "lunch" at 10 am.  The store opened at 10 and there was already a line.  They were only letting 25 people in at a time.  I love MCC for fun dishes. 

https://www.facebook.com/MCCConnectionsThriftShop/



Note- they do require face masks here.

I purchased this beautiful pottery platter that I can not wait to fill with veggies for the next family get together.  It was a deal at $5.00
I also purchased this pitcher for $4.50 - I am either keeping it or giving it to my mom.  


This afternoon Sarah stopped by for some bubble tea.    Love seeing her smiling face. 

#Kettleson

Give Joy and find joy

No comments:

Post a Comment