Making pink chai

This was the purest green tea I had in my tea cupboard.  Since, I am not a real green tea lover, I went with this....


I found Cardamom seeds at World Market.  I had my nephews with me, so they were very excited for me to make pink tea!
 
 
Saturday, after geo-caching with my nephews, they wanted to tea taste.  And they begged me to make pink tea.  Okay, they did not have to beg very hard :)
 
Ingredients:
2 C of milk
2 C cold water
1 C of cold water

 pinch of salt
 1 heaping tbsp Kashmiri Chai or Green Tea- I used green tea
1/4 tsp baking soda
cinnamon stick (about 1 inches long) - added 2 tsp cinnamon, I did not have sticks
 3 green cardamom pods
 2 tbsp sugar (or to taste)

  This recipe will yield 2-3 cups of Pink Chai
 
Over hi heat, pour cold water into pot. Add in Green tea, salt, baking soda, cinnamon stick and cardamom pods. Allow it to come to a boil, then lower to medium heat and cover. Allow to cook for 30 minutes, but check on it every 10 minutes, to make sure the water hasn't all evaporated.
 
After 30 minutes, add in 12oz of cold water. Stir vigorously for 5 minutes.
 
Add in milk and sugar. Allow to come to a boil, then partially cover. Lower heat and allow to cook for 10 minutes., with the cover half on. You'll notice that the color is becoming a nice shade of pink!
 
Sieve the Chai, and once chai is poured into cups
 
 
(You can garnish with chopped pistachios and almonds- but I did not do that today)
Maybe once I master this, it will be my signature tea in my tea shop!
 


Here it is coming to a boil


vigorously stirring

adding the milk
 
And it was turning pink!!!  The pictures DO NOT do it justice.  The boys could notice the pink difference.

 
Well, I turned my back for too long and the tea boiled over!  What a mess!!!!!!

 
Thankfully there was still a little left.  You can see, there is not much, but it was enough we could try.


 
We all gave it thumbs up!!!  I think we lost the pink color when I had the boil over.  But, I will for sure make it again!!!!!  It was tasty and I want to see the real pink color!

 
THIS IS WHAT WE WERE TOLD IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE!!!!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment