E & O Hotel, afternoon tea, Georgetown Malaysia



I was told if I wanted to have a great afternoon experience I needed to go to the E&O Hotel.  I asked several people and they all listed this as a must do.

It was easy to get too with Grab (like US Uber), they dropped me off at the front door.  Grab was such a wonderful invention, in the heat I did not want to take the bus if I did not have too.  Grab took me right where I wanted to go, the price was worth it and it was half the price of a taxi.

http://www.eohotels.com/1885.php





 












Crazy Rich Asians was filmed here, I watched it on the plane ride home.  That was fun!




The outside of this hotel is very grand.  It was impressive. 


 



It was very hot, so I was glad there was AC inside.  They also let me hang out and use their wi-fi for free too.





It is huge inside.  I took a look around on my way to have tea.





Named one of the top 5 places for afternoon tea in Penang.

Named for the year that the E&O Hotel was established, 1885 offers classical yet contemporary cuisine in an elegant environment in the finest traditions of colonial style dining.

1885 at the Eastern & Oriental Hotel is mix of old world charm and modern luxury, It's rich heritage can be  felt from the arrangement of tables to its art deco. The restaurant has a nice tea list to choose from also the selection of dainty sandwiches and pastry's are delicious. As for the scones.. a must for a traditional afternoon are soft and buttery.

So if your looking for some colonial luxury on a warm afternoon you know where be. 

1885, Eastern & Oriental Hotel,
10, Lebuh Farquhar,
10200 Penang
Tel : +604 222 2000 ext. 3170
Operating Hours: 2pm to 5pm (daily including weekends)
Price : RM 65.30 nett per pax




This is what tea at a five star hotel menu for afternoon tea  looks like...





This is the view out my window while having tea.  I could see the cannons facing the Malaka Strait.


When  I came in there were men there to seat us, they were dressed in tuxes.  I felt very underdressed.


I ordered the Verbena tea. It was very nice.  I was disappointed that the tea leaves were in the tea pot.  Once again, the tea over steeps- so I pulled the leaves out of the pot so I could drink the entire pot of tea. 



Would you look at these goodies!!  Oh man!  Afternoon tea is the life.  We need to adopt regular , mandatory afternoon tea in the US.


Tea here is a bit pricey, 65 Ringitt - $24 US- it was a special treat, so I went for it.


The savory items were my favorite, per usual.



My waiter was kind enough to take a photo of me. (FYI- this shirt was made here.  It is a batik) 

Scones with clotted cream and Pineapple and strawberry jam.



I do have to say this was my third afternoon tea while in Penang...one a Park Royal Hotel, one at Winter Warmers, and this one.  This one had by far my favorite sweets!  They were unique and not overly sweet. 



   


Even though it was extremely hot outside I wanted to wonder around and get some photos.


It is just such beautiful area with lots of  history here.






Old fashion toilet with the pull handle.

















No comments:

Post a Comment